CISC 8100 APPLIED PRACTICE IN CONTEXT
Assessment 2
DUE 21 NOVEMBER 2017 – Extension
Approved
Identify and critically
evaluate the context of your practice.
Week 31 - Interdisciplinary Collaboration
Interdisciplinary connections can
occur in an educational setting between school teachers, and external agencies
such as speech and language therapists, social workers, specialist counsellors
and the like in order to assist developing and supporting the well-being of a
student. This allows the range of
expertise amongst this interdisciplinary team to professionally enable a
student to gain independence and confidence that learn how to learn to inevitably
develop skills for lifelong learning as the ultimate result.
This alone shows the power of the
collaboration if a diverse group of experts connect and collaborate focused on
the seeking a lifelong learning outcome for a student via the interdisciplinary
nature of their collaboration. To plan
for effective and beneficial interdisciplinary collaboration it is stated that
three aspects are important to enable decision making, goal setting and joint
planning to eventuate:
1.
Qualities / Attitudes
2.
Common Goals
3.
Workplace Conditions
If these aspects are in place and adhered to the
potential for interdisciplinary collaboration as occurring "when
different professionals, possessing unique knowledge, skills, organizational
perspectives, and personal attributes, engage in co-ordinated problem solving
for a common purpose" (Berg-Weger &. Schneider, 1998).
I am the principal of a small
primary school and I consider collaboration as a primary role of my
position. Mulligan & Kuban’s
conceptual model for successful interdisciplinary collaboration (2015) allows
me to critique how this fits in with my own professional connections and the
way in which I collaborate.
Common Goals
At Whakawātea there is a rigorously
strong and aspirational reason for everything we do - Ko te tamaiti te pūtake o
ngā mea katoa! - The child is at the heart of everything! Our belief is
that children are born perfect and whole and highly capable of achieving
success in every way possible. It is
equally communicated and planned that we as a team do everything we possibly
can to ensure this is the reality for each and every student. I strongly
believe that not one cent or one second is wasted when it is being utilised
working for our students.
Equally I believe in our team and
their capability to collaborate to deliver this learning environment for our
students. On reflection I see pockets of
sound collaboration and a couple of areas where either clarification or
attitude adjustment needs to be worked on.
Qualities and Attitudes
As a school principal driving an
environment of collaboration I believe that our team need to be open to being
flexible, giving up controlling all aspects of learning and the way our
students learn. They need to trust in
themselves and in each other and be brutally honest about what they think is
working and what isn’t. I have stated
from the get go that although I am not sure what will work and that we need to
engage in a process to discover that together.
I personally believe they are all highly capable and that as a team we
can overcome any barriers or perceived problems.
When I reflect about all of these
aspects my feeling is that some teachers are afraid that they are not good
enough or are scared that people may think they aren’t. Also, that they might be afraid of not being
able to control every aspect of their classroom and potentially not be able to
fulfil the requirements of paperwork.
However, regardless of all of this I sincerely believe that as a team we
have high levels of trust and capability to be all that we desire.
Workplace Conditions
As the principal I believe I have a
very good professional relationship with my team and that there is reciprocal
respect. We meet each morning before
school and have longer after school meetings on Mondays and Wednesdays. As a principal I also meet with other
principals, participate in principal meetings and within our community of
learning and meetings from a national perspective. In general we are an extremely close and hard
working group of professionals who I feel privileged to work alongside.
Our physical environment supports
our collaboration and ensures our learning spaces are beautiful and well
designed to provide open collaborative spaces.
The learning spaces all open where each area seamlessly connects with
the next and within that there are some large shared open spaces.
References
Berg-Weger, M., &. Schneider,
F. D. (1998). Interdisciplinary collaboration in social work education. Journal
of Social Work Education, 34, 97-107.
Mulligan, L. M., & Kuban, A. J.
(2015). A Conceptual Model for Interdisciplinary Collaboration. Retrieved from
http://acrlog.org/2015/05/14/a-conceptual-model-for-interdisciplinary-collaboration

No comments:
Post a Comment